Providing the roads, paths and ramps to your career! Become an accessibility specialist today!
Under the direction of the Supervisor, Accessibility Planning, the successful candidate will plan and manage accessibility projects and support the accessibility portfolio
- Develop/maintain and provide training for accessibility legislation, disability issues, the removal/prevention of barriers, accessibility plan initiatives, policies and procedures for various internal and external stakeholders
- Develop and/or have input into sustainment plans for each category of Standards (Employment, Information & Communication, Transportation, Customer Service, and, especially built environment)
- Review, understand and provide key analysis and input into the provincial legislation and the accessibility standards development process (especially in relation to the accessible built environment).
- Monitor the provincial Accessible Built Environment Standards and ensure implementation across the Corporation
- Review policies and standard operating procedures in relation to accessible built environment requirements.
- Prepare and provide presentations as required
- Update, maintain and promote the use of assistive devices that are available to the public and provide and/or coordinate training to staff on the use of these devices
- Review and make recommendations to City By-laws related to the accessible built environment
- Provide recommendations for improvement to facilities and prioritization of upgrades
- Manage and /or conduct accessibility audits
- Provide consultation to staff on compliance and drawing review. Provide recommendations on incorporating standards in existing facilities to ensure compliance with new building codes and the AODA
- Ensure implementation of the Mississauga Facility Accessibility Design Standards
- Maintain an awareness of new and innovative services, policies and accessibility strategies for persons with disabilities and recommend where appropriate, methods for their implementation.
- Liaise and work co-operatively with community groups, regional, provincial, national agencies, and persons with disabilities to provide better services and programs.
- Consult with Mississauga Advisory Committee and Region of Peel Advisory Committee to share best practices
- Assist with projects and other duties as required
- Post-Secondary diploma from a recognized college or university in Social Services, Community Planning/Development, environmental design, architecture, accessibility or a related discipline.
- Experience in accessibility/code compliance in buildings and public facilities is required.
- Must possess a minimum of (3) year's progressive experience in accessibility, equity and human rights work, preferably in a municipal environment.
- Demonstrated background in dealing with accessibility/accommodation and equity issues is required.
- Well versed and have extensive experience in working with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), related legislation, the Ontario Human Rights Code, appropriate building codes, and accessibility/universal design standards.
- Ability to work with the public, staff at all levels and coordinate the efforts of multi disciplined departments are essential.
- Ability to read architectural documents/plans or working drawings is an asset
- Sound knowledge of disabilities and experience in dealing with accessibility issues
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including facilitation and project management skills
- Must have excellent organizational and time management skills and be able to effectively coordinate a number of projects simultaneously.
- Must be a dedicated team player able to work independently on complex projects with minimal supervision, demonstrating initiative and the ability to carry out instructions without detailed direction.
- Exceptional customer focus is required.
- Strong computer skills using MS Office Suites
Hours of Work: 35 hour per week
Salary: $67,420 - $89,897
Closing Date: November 21, 2017
Number of Openings: 1 Permanent Full-time
Department/Division/Unit: Corporate Services Department/ Facilities and Property Management Division
Work Location: 950 Burnhamthrope Road
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, at his or her own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform City Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation. All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act .