Show off our beautiful city and manage the tourism in Mississauga!
Under the leadership of the Manager, Sport & Community Development in the City’s Recreation Division, the successful candidate will lead the Tourism - Team which serves as the primary point of contact for tourism for the City of Mississauga. This position manages and oversees the implementation and execution of the Mississauga Sport Tourism Strategy and the City’s Tourism Master Plan. This position will act as the main conduit with Tourism Toronto as a partner in the development and implementation of tourism initiatives for the City. Provide valuable input for the establishment of funding programs relative to the recent implementation of the hotel tax. In addition, this position will oversee the bidding, planning and execution of major sporting events hosted by the City of Mississauga and liase with community stakeholders to support and raise the profile of Mississauga to attract visitors to attend special events and festivals.
- Lead a team of two full-time staff that delivers tourism related programs, marketing and services for the City. Focused on the development and implementation of innovative tourism initiatives and strategies.
- Initiate and project manage strategic planning exercises and guide implementation of strategic plans related to tourism in Mississauga, including the Mississauga Sport Tourism Strategy and Tourism Master Plan, Tourism Marketing Plan.
- Lead the implementation of recommendations resulting from the City’s Tourism Master Plan.
- Manage the relationship with Tourism Toronto to sustain funding and support from this organization.
- Position Mississauga as a leader in the sport tourism sector through the pursuit and acquisition of sport tourism events and tournaments in coordination with the Hershey Centre and Sport Zone -the City’s premier sport event venue.
- Guide development of a broader corporate strategy related to local tourism development and destination marketing.
- Establish and administer funding programs for supporting tourism related initiatives for the City of Mississauga.
- Manage various teams of contract event staff and volunteers to plan and execute sporting and other events hosted by the City of Mississauga.
- Manage the team that provides status reports, supports and liaises with the Tourism Advisory Board.
- Provide sensitive issue management that relies on a highly developed knowledge of municipal government practices and approval processes. Develop and prepare correspondence including briefing notes, corporate reports, and corporate policies using political acuity, logic and exceptional judgment skills
- Encourage cross departmental thinking and collaboration, interpret individual and department concerns, anticipate issues and opportunities, take ownership, use initiative and remain solution focused
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- You will have graduated from a recognized university or college with a degree in Tourism and Marketing, Marketing or Business Administration or equivalent and bring at least 5 years of progressive people leadership experience.
- You have thrived in the recent past working in the tourism industry with a keen understanding of the impact of tourism in a municipality
- You have experience developing and supporting marketing campaigns, including digital and web-based marketing.
- You have experience with interfacing with political leadership
- You are a strong, persuasive communicator that naturally enjoys preparing written business correspondence and reports for a wide ranging internal audience and the public.
- You strive for innovation and excellence by leading a results-oriented team.
- You are engaging and comfortable when facilitating discussions or public consultations and have demonstrated experience building partnerships.
- You are strategic in your approach to addressing complex issues and demonstrate accountability for the performance of your team by ensuring the impact of strategies and programs is measured and shared widely.
- Note: Flexible work hours are required, including evenings and weekends.
Hours of Work: 35 hour per week
Salary: $83,471 - $111,297
Closing Date: Friday, February 23rd, 2018
Number of Openings: 1 Permanent Full-time
Department/Division/Unit: Community Services Department/Recreation
Work Location: Mississauga, ON
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, at his or her own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform City Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation. All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act .